Wednesday, July 29, 2009

(Hair dryer) Diffusers - does it matter which one you use? What about hairdryers with tourmaline/ion

I have straight hair with a mild kink (wave) in it and my hairdresser showed me how to create a wavy tousled look by first rubbing hair wax onto the ends of my hair and then scrunching sections of hair up, placing the scrunched sections into a diffuser (a bowl-shaped attachment to her hairdryer with many prongs) and blowdrying the sections that way, so that when they dry, the hair stays wavy and tousled/messy.



I love the look.



Now I'm looking for a diffuser attachment or even considering buying a brand new hairdryer. There are a few diffuser attachments on the market - one claims to have retractable prongs (Vidal Sassoon one, I believe), one has a rather weird design - gimmicky (Sedusa Hair Diffuser), or should I just go for a good old large conventional bowl-shaped diffuser with lots of holes in it - like my hairdresser's?



Also, are hairdryers with ionic and/or tourmaline technology hairdryer really better than usual ones? My hair is regularly coloured and quite dry.



(Hair dryer) Diffusers - does it matter which one you use? What about hairdryers with tourmaline/ionic??

You don't need to spend extra money on gimmicks for a diffuser. They don't make your hair dry any different than a conventional one such as your stylist uses. Use a low setting for both heat and amount of air. The diffuser reduces the air flow and you don't want the dryer to overheat.



I have a tourmaline dryer and I love it. Instead of using high heat, I can now use medium heat and still dry my hair in half the normal time it used to take me. This is better for your hair, not to mention your electric bill.



The idea behind the ionic technology is that the ions break down the water into easily absorbable particles that your hair can readily accept. This is supposed to help keep it moisturized. It's the latest at the hair shows and stylists all over are raving about it. They're dumping their old straighteners and dryers in favor of the new ionic ones. Do they actually work better? I don't know about the straighteners, but my new dryer is definitely better than my old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment