Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Could anyone help me with my linguistic assignment? Ambiguity sentences.?

Paraphrase each of the following sentences in two ways to show that you understand the ambiguity involved:



Example: Smoking grass can be nauseating.



i. Putting grass in a pipe and smoking it can make you sick.



ii. Fumes from smoldering grass can make you sick.



a. Dick finally decided on the boat.



b. The professor閳ユ獨 appointment was shocking.



c. The design has big squares and circles



d. That sheepdog is too hairy to eat.



e. Could this be the invisible man閳ユ獨 hair tonic?



f. The governor is a dirty street fighter.



g. I cannot recommend him too highly.



h. Terry loves his wife and so do I.



i. They said she would go yesterday.



j. No smoking section available.



Need help,please! Please do all the questions!



Could anyone help me with my linguistic assignment? Ambiguity sentences.?

a. Dick finally decided which boat to buy.



Dick made his decision while on the boat.



b. We were shocked that they appointed the professor.



The results of the professor's appointment with his



doctor were shocking.



c. The design has big squares and various sizes of circles.



The design has big squares and big circles.



d.The sheep dog has too much hair around his mouth so



he cannot eat his food.



The sheepdog is too hairy for us to eat him.



e. Could this be the hair tonic that the invisible man uses?



Could this be the man's hair tonic which is invisible?



f. The governor is a street fighter who fights dirty (uses unfair tactics)



The governor is a street fighter who is not very clean.



g. I really cannot give him a good recommendation.



I have more good things to say about him than I have time



to say them.



h Terry loves his wife and I love my wife.



Terry loves his wife and I love her too.



i. Yesterday, they told me she would go soon.



They said yesterday was the day she was supposed to leave.



j. There is a section available where no smoking is allowed ,



apart from the smoking section.



There is no section available where smoking is allowed.



Hope this helps you out. Please study these so you will understand what is meant by ambiguity.



Enjoy your Sunday!



Could anyone help me with my linguistic assignment? Ambiguity sentences.?

a1. Dick now has time to choose,



a2. Dick had taken a while and just now chose a boat.



b1. The apartment was a contrast to his actual character



b2. The apart was extremely messy



c1. The design has only big squares with little circles



c2. The design has both big squares and big circles.



d1. The sheepdog is too hairy for anyone to eat the dog



d2. The sheedog is too hairy for the dog to eat its own food.



e1. Found an invisible bottle that seems full



e2. Looking at a bottle that feels full but has nothing in it.



f1. The governor is a literal dirty (as in muddy, ect.) street fighter



f2. The governor doesn't have a set martial arts style to follow, or never learned, therefore fights instinctually, or "dirty"



g1. I don't like the person enough to recommand him.



g2. I don't recommend the person for higher paying positions.



h1. Terry loves his wife because she is fun, and I also enjoy this quality.



h2. Terry loves his wife, and I am in love with his wife.



i1. They said that she would leave yesterday.



i2. They said she would die yesterday.



j1. The section where you can't smoke is available.



j2. The section where you can smoke isn't available.



^___^ That was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment