Saturday, August 1, 2009

My hair won't hold color!?

I have brown hair naturally. I want to go a couple shades darker. I tried a nice kit from Sally's Beauty Supply. It's "almost black" or "darkest brown" sort of color. Not that far from my natural color.



It came out in about a week. I was using special Shampoo and Conditioner too. A while later I went to my stylist and she dyed it the same color with their products and put it under heat to set in, ect. In about 1.5-2 weeks it was gone.



It was permanent.



I went back and this time she tried a different product and also added a glaze at the end to help it hold the color. Again I used shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair (different one than the last ones I used, just in case)



But again about 2 weeks it was gone. I'm so saddened. There's got to be something I can do to keep the color!



I know the tricks like use shampoo every other day or just 3 times a week and don't expose to heat. I do straighten my hair every now and then, but only once or twice a week.



My hair won't hold color!?

I've heard that clean hair does not hold color very well. Maybe you can try not washing your hair for a couple of days before coloring next time.



My hair won't hold color!?

Wow, it sounds like your hair is extremely porous. Which means the cuticle or outside of your hair is wide open. When you color your hair the color penetrates the cuticle and goes inside the hair shaft. A little after rinsing your cuticle closes and the color if permanent is trapped inside. Reds always fade but blacks and dark browns usually only fade a little. Did you have any chemical treatments such as perm, straightening, previous color to make your hair's cuticle porous? If so theres not much you can do till the damaged part grows out. If this is how your hair naturally then I'm shocked. Is the color that was used on your hair permanent? If so what volume of developer did you use? If you don't know, I would wait at least 2 weeks, go back to Sally's and buy a Permanent color of your choice, then make sure you use a 10 volume developer with it. Follow the directions carefully. Other than that you seem to be doing everything else right, washing every couple of days, light heat, avoid the sun, etc. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment